Sexual Harassment Compensation

After being victimized by sexual harassment, a successful claim could give you sexual harassment compensation. The amount depends on the harm suffered. However, the types of damages include back pay, front pay, pain, and suffering and other punitive damages.

Back Pay

If the employer denied a raise, promotion or fired due to sexual harassment, you could receive back pay. Back pay is the wages, benefits, and other compensation that would have been earned from the time of the negative employment decision up to the date of a jury award. This award is a judgment.

Other back pay examples are:

  • Wages including any would-be raises
  • Bonuses, commissions, or tips
  • Value of any benefits including health or life insurance
  • Vacation or sick pay
  • Retirement or pension benefits
  • Stock options or profit sharing

Federal law limits back pay to two years from the time of filing your lawsuit. However, your state’s laws may allow you to collect back pay for a longer period of time.

Front Pay

The court determines the length of future front pay by considering age, length of time to find a similar job, how long with previous employment and how long other employees in similar positions work for the employer.

Compensatory and Punitive Damages

Even if you aren’t able to receive back or front pay, a jury may award compensatory damages or punitive damages. Compensatory damages include compensation for emotional distress, harm to a reputation, and out-of-pocket costs like medical bills and job searches. When the sexual harassment is extremely bad, a jury could award punitive damages. This usually happens when the employer knew of the conduct and did nothing to stop it.

  • 15-100 employees, the limit is $50,000.
  • 101-200 employees, the limit is $100,000.
  • 201-500 employees, the limit is $200,000.
  • More than 500 employees, the limit is $300,000.

Your state’s laws may have different limits than federal law. Some states don’t have any at all. This means more recoverable amounts. A lawyer like those at The Michael Brady Lynch Firm can help.

Attorneys’ Fees

After winning your case, filing fees, attorneys’ fees and any costs incurred with the suit will be reimbursed. If you have experienced sexual harassment in any form in the workplace, you should contact a qualified employment attorney as soon as possible. If the harassment has not stopped after making a formal complaint with your employer, consulting a harassment lawyer is your best option. Your attorney will be able to provide further guidance, help you file a claim with the EEOC, and help you build a case that will put an end to what you have experienced.

Contact Us Today

Contact our lawyers directly through the email form below.
  • * Denotes a required field
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.