Salmonella infection (salmonellosis) is a common bacterial disease that affects the intestinal tract. The bacteria usually live in animal and human intestines and shed through feces. Consuming contaminated water or food spreads the infection to humans.
Salmonella Infection Symptoms
Other symptoms are:
- Abdominal cramps
- Blood in the stool
Symptoms last two to seven days. Diarrhea may last up to 10 days, however, it may take several months before bowels return to normal. However, salmonella can develop into typhoid fever. This is a deadly disease. About 300 people get typhoid fever in the United States each year. About 22 million cases of typhoid fever and 200,000 related deaths occur worldwide each year.
- Raw meat, poultry, and seafood are contaminated when feces gets onto raw meat and poultry during the butchering process. Harvesting seafood from contaminated water spreads the bacteria.
- Raw eggs spread salmonella when infected chickens produce eggs.
- Fruits and vegetables can spread the bacteria when washed with contaminated water.
- Spices recently have been traced to salmonella outbreaks by the FDA.
Salmonella Infection Complications
In some cases, diarrhea associated with salmonella infection can be so dehydrating as to require prompt medical attention. Life-threatening complications are possible if salmonella spreads.
Persistent diarrhea can lead to dehydration. Warning signs include:
- Decreased urine output
- Dry mouth and tongue
- Sunken eyes
- Reduced production of tears
When a salmonella infection enters the bloodstream (bacteremia), it can infect tissues throughout the body.
The tissues most affected are:
- The tissues surrounding the brain and spinal cord (meningitis)
- The lining of the heart or valves (endocarditis)
- Bones or bone marrow (osteomyelitis)
- The lining of blood vessels
Reactive arthritis is known as Reiter’s syndrome and causes:
- Eye irritation
- Painful urination
- Painful joints
Help after a Salmonella Infection
When you experience side effects from severe food poisoning, it can have devastating effects on your entire life. A verdict or settlement could also provide compensation for your injuries and damages. The Michael Brady Lynch Firm is currently accepting Salmonella infection injury cases in all 50 states. If you or somebody you know was injured by an outbreak of Salmonella poisoning, you should contact our lawyers immediately for a free case consultation.