Many consider riding a motorcycle as one of life’s great pleasures. According to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2015, almost 5,000 motorcyclists were killed. This is up 8.3 percent from 2014. The latest vehicle mile travel data show motorcyclists are about 27 times as likely as passenger car occupants to die in a motor vehicle traffic crash and 6 times as likely to be injured.
- In two-thirds of motorcycle accidents involving another vehicle, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle rider’s right of way and caused the accident.
- Although the number of fatalities for drivers and passengers of automobiles and light trucks has been steadily falling since 1999, the fatality rate for motorcycle accidents has more than doubled in that time.
There are many problems while driving that lead to more motorcycle accidents.
- Visual Recognition: Motorcycles are small and other vehicles and weather conditions tend to obscure them. This is the most common at intersections where around 70% of all motorcycle collisions occur. T
- Road Hazards: Some hazards are minor while in a car but can be deadly for a motorcyclist. These include potholes, oil slicks, puddles, debris, or other objects on the roadway, ruts, uneven pavement, and railroad tracks.
- Wobbling: At higher speeds, the front of a motorcycle could become unstable and shake or wobble. The tires could be misaligned. Under product liability, the manufacturer of the motorcycle might be held financially responsible for any resulting injuries.
Motorcycle Design or Manufacture Defects
The design or manufacture defect could have a hand in injuring a motorcyclist. If the motorcycle had a design defect, the company planned,or designed the vehicle in such a way that an injury could foreseeable result. A manufacturing defect, on the other hand, means that there was some deviation from the intended design while the motorcycle was being assembled, and this deviation rendered the motorcycle dangerous in some way.
Get Legal Guidance
If you or a loved one have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you should first seek immediate medical treatment. The Michael Brady Lynch Firm offers free consultations. Getting legal help can put your mind at ease and let you focus on what matters most — getting better.