Usually, mesothelioma settlements come from a lawsuit. These lawsuits normally History shows an overwhelming majority of cases end in a settlement before reaching the courtroom.
Some cases do go to trial. There, a judge or jury can make a verdict that awards significant compensatory and punitive damages. However, trials may take a long time to conclude.
Past Mesothelioma Settlements
According to a recent Mealey’s Litigation Report, the average mesothelioma trial award is estimated at $2.4 million. The average mesothelioma settlement is between $1 million and $1.4 million and typically paid by multiple defendants. However, each case is unique.
- In 2011, a circuit court judge in Missouri approved a $10 million settlement to a Jackson County courthouse employee. She was exposed to asbestos during a renovation project done by U.S. Engineering Company. A few years after she died of mesothelioma, two former co-workers filed a class-action lawsuit against Jackson County and the engineering company. The case resulted in an $80 million settlement.
- The vermiculite mine in Libby, Montana exposed hundreds of people. This brought two major payouts. In 2011, a district court judge approved a $43 million settlement. This covered over 1,300 miners and their families. Then in 2017, a second awarded a $25 million settlement to more than 1,000 people. Victims continue to come forward, so more settlements in the future are likely.
- In 2005, U.S. Steel paid $250 million to the wife of a former steelworker who died of mesothelioma. U.S. Steel reached a post-verdict settlement for an undisclosed amount believed to be substantially less than the compensatory award. This is rare. Most cases do not settle after a trial.
- In 2006, a boilermaker in New York developed lung cancer and received a $3.7 million settlement.
- Also in 2006, Daimler-Chrysler settled a claim with a retired NYC police officer and former brake specialist. They reached a $25 million settlement with him. Asbestos lined the brakes he worked on, thus causing his mesothelioma.