IVC Filters can migrate away from an intended location, damage organs and stop preventing pulmonary embolisms (PE).
IVC Filters use metal wires to capture and trap blood clots before they can reach the lungs. When a blood clot reaches the lung, it is referred to as a pulmonary embolism (PE). PEs cause about 300,000 deaths ever year – the third most common cause of death in hospital patients.
However, these filters have associated risks as well. Currently, doctors have implanted over 2 million IVC filters.
Facts about IVC Filters
The most common retrievable filters prone to failure are:
- Bard’s Recovery
- Bard’s G2
- Bard’s G2 Express
- Cook’s Gunther Tulip
- Cook’s Celect
Additionally, a 2013 study of 679 retrievable IVC filters found that 18.3% of patients experienced failed removal attempts.
Vein and Organ Perforation
- When an IVC filter migrates away from the intended location, it can cause damage to veins and organs.
- It becomes difficult if not impossible to remove.
- Then, stresses cause strain on struts leading to fracture.
- Internal bleeding can occur.
- A Caudal IVC Filter can shift downward, and a Cephalad IVC Filter will shift upward.
- When it tilts or shifts, the filter is unable to be removed and leads to fracture, perforation, and loss of efficiency.
- Then, an embolization can happen to the heart, lung, liver, and kidney.
Tilting and Embedded
- No longer a retrievable device or necessitates off-label retrieval techniques, including “open” procedure.
- Deep venous thrombosis (DVT) that is a blood clot that forms in a vein, usually in the lower leg or thigh.
- Pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in a deep vein that travels through the bloodstream to the lungs, often causing death.
- Failed removal attempts of the filter.
IVC Filter Failure Studies
There have been multiple studies examining the failure rates of IVC Filters. A 2013 study evaluated 465 patients with IVC Filters. Half of all the patients with Celect Filters perforated the user in less than a year. Then, an 8 year follow up showed that 15% had recurring PE and 35% had a DVT.
When manufacturers produce unsafe products that create pain and suffering, you deserve compensation. Although no amount of money will change the fact that you have suffered a serious injury as a result of manufacturer irresponsibility, compensation will help offset your current and future medical costs, as well as provide for the pain and suffering you have experienced. By filing, you may also help protect other people and their families from needless distress.
Bard only performed one controlled study of 33 patients, but it resulted in numerous failure modes. Then, they stopped the study and never completed another one. Bard quickly realized failure rates were higher and hid it from Health Hazard Analyses.
There are over 4,000 cases in a multi-district litigation (MDL) in the District of Arizona along with multiple state court cases in Florida, California, Delaware, Arizona, Texas, Missouri, and Pennslyvania. The first three bellwether trials have already been completed in the Bard MDL. The first bellwether resulted in $2 million in punitive damages for the plaintiff. The fourth trial is set to begin in September 2018.
If you or someone you know has suffered from IVC filter migration, you may be eligible for compensation to ease the financial and emotional burdens you are experiencing. Contact us today to set up a free consultation, during which we will listen to your story, answer any questions you may have and discuss your legal rights and options. If you choose us to represent you, we will work with you on a contingency fee basis; this means you pay nothing until we have secured compensation for you, either through a jury verdict or settlement.