Jury Awards $2M to Woman Burned by E-Cig Explosion
A California jury awarded a woman with second-degree burns from an e-cig explosion nearly $2 million. Jennifer Ries of Corona, California was on her way to the airport to when her VapCigs e-cigarette charger started spewing hot metal that ignited her dress right after she plugged it in. Mrs. Ries’ husband, Xavier Ries, tossed an iced coffee on her to extinguish the flames. However, she was still scarred for life with second-degree burns on her buttocks, thighs, and hand, according to the lawsuit.
The couple missed their flight to Brazil. There they planned to help build a community center for impoverished children in Rio de Janeiro. Instead, Mrs. Ries ended up in a burn clinic.
How do Exploding Electronic Cigarettes Occur?
Many devices use lithium-ion batteries to power it. Manufacturers make lithium-ion batteries with alternating layers of metallic anode and cathode material separated by a porous film. Inside this film is a flammable liquid electrolyte. If the lithium-ion battery overheats, the flammable electrolyte may explode.
E-Cig Explosions Just Last Year
Here are just a few of the 66 reported cases of electronic cigarette explosions last year.
- A Florida man suffered severe burns from an electronic cigarette exploding in his pocket. He required burn unit treatment in the hospital.
- A Cobb County, Georgia resident suffered severe injuries after his e-cig blew up in his face while vaping.
- In Tennessee, a man had spinal surgery after an electronic cigarette exploded in his mouth causing facial fractures, broken neck and shattered teeth.
- A man from California lost an eye when his device exploded and sent hot shrapnel into his face.
- Also in California, another man spent a week in the hospital after an e-cig exploded in his mouth. He had second-degree burns and a piece of the device lodged in his tongue.
We Want to Help Victims
Therefore, if you were seriously burned by an exploding electronic cigarette, you may have a claim against the manufacturers of the device and battery. This means you may be able to recoup damages from your injury.
Contact the Michael Brady Lynch Firm today for a free consultation to learn more about seeking justice. A jury may award you compensation for any medical expenses associated with this ordeal, as well as for your physical and emotional suffering. There is no obligation.
How We Can Help
When you experience an injury, it can have devastating effects on your entire life. Compensation for injuries and damages could be available.
The recoverable losses include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of an ability to work; and
- Pain and suffering
The Michael Brady Lynch Firm is experienced in product liability claims. Our law firm has an experienced team of trial lawyers who focus on the representation of plaintiffs in electronic cigarette lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new electronic cigarette injury and death cases in all 50 states.